Once the center of the coronavirus, New York has had a steady decrease in new cases and in deaths.
“The situation is steadily improving,” Eric Butorac, the U.S.T.A.’s director of player relations, said during Wednesday’s conference call. “I want to make people understand New York has taken this incredibly seriously.”
Butorac also said that by the time of the Open, the U.S.T.A. did not expect players to have to isolate themselves upon arrival in the United States before playing. “The idea of a 14-day quarantine is not something you need to be concerned about,” he said.
Last week’s call was often contentious, with one former U.S. Open singles champion, Marin Cilic of Croatia, even clamoring for more prize money given the conditions players would face traveling to the tournament.
But the ATP board of directors, which governs the men’s tour, ultimately supported the U.S.T.A.’s decision to go forward, according to an ATP official familiar with the board’s decision.
The U.S.T.A. does not require approval from the men’s and women’s tours to hold the U.S. Open, but did prefer to secure it before proceeding.
The plan still includes moving the Western & Southern Open, a combined men’s and women’s tour event scheduled earlier in August, to the National Tennis Center from Mason, Ohio, to create a tennis doubleheader. The Citi Open, a combined men’s and women’s event in Washington, could still be the comeback event for the tours earlier in the month.
The U.S. Open singles qualifying tournaments are not expected to be played. That would reduce the number of people at the tournament site and the official hotel. But the U.S.T.A., which has committed to roughly $52 million in prize money, is providing more than $2 million apiece to the men’s and women’s tours to compensate lower-ranked players affected by the absence of qualifying.